Sunday, July 20, 2008

Quincena 2



#1 My class!
#2 View from my window(no joke)
#3 Entrance to the monastery

I'm finally taking a breath after two weeks of teaching and figuring out how things work out in the middle of nowhere. As I mentioned before, Ucles is the home of a monastery of the Order of Santiago(yes, it's related to the Camino de Santiago that I'll be doing in August) and it's beautiful. The view from my window stuns me every time I look out as the light changes on the ancient walls and birds constantly circle the towers. There is a tiny store, two bars, and a church in the plaza. The town people are very friendly as they are used to a lot of newcomers every summer because of the summer camp. I've already taught my first class, gone running past the old ruins, drank from the town fountain that everyone stops by to fill up jugs of water, and had a late night song sharing session with the locals-one gypsy/flamenco tune per KJB. Internet access here is quite limited, and I normally work about ten hours a day. It's a lot of work figuring the maze of schedules and preparing five hours of instruction a day.

More to come, but I have to go down to the cafeteria for lunch(that's a story in and of itself), and we'll see if I can fit in a few more moments of computer time before the next set of students arrives this fine Sunday evening at 5pm......

6 comments:

ddv said...

Wow Karen. it sounds like things are going very well there. i am so glad to hear it. i think of you often and wait to hear more!

Unknown said...

Good to see you back on line and know you haven't fallen off the end of the world. Sounds like a really hectic schedule..when do you sleep? Looking forward to hearing more of what is going on there ~ Jean

Joanna said...

Hi K--just got back from a weekend with my sis in LA and so glad to see your new blog entry :). Great photos, cute kids, amazing view. The kids remind me somehow of your Rosedale 4th graders but hopefully not in the behavior department. (and YIKES--check out the paintings on the back wall of the classroom!!!!! It seems a bit much, really. Hello!) love you, hope you're doing well, K. miss you,
Jo

Unknown said...

K! Just read your email and was SO great to hear from you!!! :) I'd write back now, but Matt is sitting next to me hacking away. He's sick and we have Pad Thai to go eat (which we payed .50 cents for:) before I put him to bed. I will write soon though. Your schedule sounds hectic but ... wow, that's some great scenery! Miss talking to you - glad to hear you are connecting with Jo!
We are well - now in Chang Mai in the north, which we love...
love,
lisa

Unknown said...

Hi karen!

Sounds like you're doing great! Just wanted to say "hi" and that I think of you and your travels often. Take care.

matt

Matt WJ said...

Hey Karen!
Wow, your adventures in Ucles sound very exciting.
I hope you had a good time - maybe you met an interesting (and incidentally quite attractive) young Englishman, with whom I hope you had deep conversations.
Good luck on the camino and keep in touch!
When I'm back in the UK, I'll iTunes you..... and spread you to a new audience!
Matt WJ