Saturday, August 2, 2008

Turn Towards the Sun




Life changes in an instant, and I went from summer camp English teacher to a preparing pilgrim in a flash. My "month in a monastery" came to a delightful culmination Thursday evening when, Forenex, the company that runs the camp took all 20 of the teachers out for dinner at the unexpectedly chic restaurant here in population 500 Ulces. The food here has been -there's no other way to say it, bad, so the contrast of a tower of grilled vegetables topped with a round of toasted golden goat cheese made the girls at my end of the table groan in a decidedly sensual manner. It's hard to believe that I won't be seeing this great bunch of people together like this again this lifetime. Certainly lasting friendships were formed and there is the anticipation of reunions in New York City, San Francisco, and maybe even Madrid or Barcelona.
It was no easy task grabbing and holding the interest of 10-13 year old Spanish kids for five hours a day as they missed home, got sick, got frustrated, and generally bothered me to death. They did end up charming me in the end, and I think I made alot of new fans after both sets of clases sang one of my songs for their end of term talent show performance.
What I will really miss are the incredible acoustics in every room and hallway inside this beautiful building. I have become completley spoiled by pulling out my guitar and lightly strumming and singing in a wash of natural reverb whenever I want. I can see why monks would like it.
Now I've got one day to sort through my luggage and prepare a backpack that will supply me with what I need for twenty five days, but not break my shoulders. After living out of a suitcase for the last two and a half months I'll be happy to put on the one pair of pants and the same tank top without digging through a pile of clothes.
After talking to the Ever Patient Boyfriend on Skype, I realized that it would be wise to note my pre-camino state of mind. I feel a little less green as far as foreign travel goes, satisfied with the experience of getting TEFL certificated and having taught for a month, both delighted and tired from meeting and saying goodbye to so many wonderful people and kids, ready to kiss Dave and see friends, and am slightly excited about the last phase of the trip. A month in Ucles has certainly quieted my mind, but I simply don't know what to expect as I sail off to hours walking, looking, and thinking. As I look out on the fields of sunflowers you see in the photo above, I'm reminded of the simple, but lovley idea of a multitude of similar yet individual flowers slowly stretching to catch every ray of light offered to them. As I become a pilgrim along with so many who are walking the path, I will seek to do the same and become a breathtaking scene to whatever divine audience is watching.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Karen, it was great to read this update. It reminds me so much of just being anywhere but here in america. Reminds me of the beauty in something not new and shiney. The romance in something heard not seen. At this minute I would love to trade seats with you and travel that road and discover whatever it is that you'll discover. I'll be thinking of you!! This post reminds me of a quote that I saw today: those who wander are not always lost. Enjoy wandering...these moments that you are experiencing will never again greet you on this side. love to you! stacy

Joanna said...

Hi K--so great to read your blog update, as always, and see some photos. I hope you'll have room in your backpack for your camera so you can do more Show and Tell when you get back . . .
Love, Jo

Unknown said...

Great to read your update. Lisa and Matt are back, spent the night and just left for his folks house. They will drive back to Chico tomorrow..and Matt will only have about 24 hrs before he has to head back to work. Hope all goes well during your walk..take lots of pictures, band-aids, moleskin, and Say hello to Santiago for me! ~ Jean

Unknown said...

Ah, your words are as sweet as honey! Deep friendships in ancient places are not easily forgotten. As I type this, my fav song of yours came on, and it's like I can almost see you walking on that path. I tried to call you yesterday, but I'm sure you're busy. I'm thinking about you! So... wander, wander, wander - it's how we find out who we are. :) I'm still wandering... :)
LOVE YOU!!!

ddv said...

hey karen...
don't know where you are or how you're doing, but i'm thinking about both things today. i hope your well. I remember walking up the north rim with you and your new tennis shoes talking about how hard it is to know what to bring and what you'll need. i hope your shoes are feeling good and i hope you have what you need. roam if you want to.. roam around the world, and know you have a bunch of people here waiting to see you and hear you're stories! love ya karen!