Sunday, August 17, 2008

On the Road

Joder= An important Spanish swear word that I have aquired, and appropriate for my state of mind.

After almost two weeks on the road, I have finally come across some accesible internet here in the historic town of Astorgas. I arrived via bus from Leon after giving myself the luxury/necessesity of a couple of days involving a hotel room where I can use the bathroom when I want, as well as some errands that needed to get taken care of during the blessed hours between siesta and evening. This has been a, well, interesting trip. So far I have:

1. Seen some beautiful scenery.
2. Walked about 200 k.
3. Injured my left knee during the descent of the Alto de Perdon.
4. Met a fascinating/fun assortment of Spanish, American, Italian, Australian, and French people.
5. Slept in more crowded, smelly albergues than I ever thought I could stand though I have 12 more days.

I was waiting for some real spiritual awakening, but instead I´ve discovered the following things:

1. I am SO done traveling alone in Spain.
2. I want to eat spicy food so badly that I would kill someone without batting an eye in exchange for some Thai yellow curry.
3. I can handle about a week of nasty living conditions and then I start becoming an animal.
4. I want to actually have a relationship with Dave instead of talk on the phone. (I won´t mention the other things I´m thinking about regarding Dave, but I´ve been gone since June 1st, so you do the math.)
5. I want to play MUSIC.

The Camino de Santiago has proven so far to be somewhere between a masochistic tourist trap and a cheap way to travel Spain and meet alot of cool people you would otherwise pass by if it weren´t for your joint suffering. I´m doing my girl scout best to try to have a good attitude, but it´s hard, god damn it. I´ve had some nice suprises along the way in the little things, like the fact that the bus station cafe was open this Sunday morning and I drank a kick-ass cafe con leche, and smoked two cigarettes before 8AM to the grooviest assortment of 80´s tunes. The guy behind the counter and I were equally enjoying the "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, oooooo, whoooa" of "Don´t You Forget About Me", and when you´re in my state of mind that means alot.

I can´t count on this miraculous internet time again, but if I do, I´ll tell you the rest of the story. Until then, say a little prayer for me while I´m "en camino."

4 comments:

Matt WJ said...

Is this going to be more enjoyable afterwards when you can look back on it? You know, when all those little irritations and lack of cleanliness fade into obscurity, and you just remember the good times and the people?
For instance, Valencia was great, but I'm already forgetting the huge hassle we had to get back from it. Just the fun times remain.
My advice - try to obtain that level of detachment now, while you're there.
Worried, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Matt WJ

Unknown said...

I was completely worried about you, until I talked to you yesterday. :) You do have a great attitude - good job girl scout. :) You are a real trooper,... living overseas is a lot less romantic than people say, and I would know.:) But your memories will live on for decades and the hard times will fade into the delicious past. This will be one unique memory that you will cherish for a lifetime. And when you can't take it anymore, stay in another nice hotel and have a nice glass of wine!

I actually learned how to make Thai yellow curry at our cooking class in Thailand, but I don't trust that I could find (or make) that amazing yellow curry paste as of yet. We discovered another dish you'd love (it's hotter!) called "paneang" chicken - you'll love it!

Can't wait to see you! It's killing me being the housewife while waiting for my job interview - I would have lost it if I was born in the '50's! But I'm thankful for this cozy house (how, now, how clean it is :) that can welcome you when you get back. We are so excited to see you!!

Lisa (for Matt too :)

Unknown said...

Great to read your blog and know you are still in one piece..as all others have said..treasure the experience (though you will probably enjoy it more looking back on it). Just remember Chico awaits! Looking forward to hearing all about your travels! Jean

Joanna said...

Hooray blog post! Dammit I miss you. Haven't called on skype because it's a work laptop and giving me CRAP about not having "administrative authority" blah blah blah. When I was in Europe by the end of the trip I would have sold a kidney for a Big Gulp filled with Diet Coke and LOTS of ice. God Bless America! Don't worry, we'll spoil you a bit when you get back with cheap yummy thai food, cold beer, and fabulous company.