Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Whirlwind


n
Is it possible that less than three days ago I was in California tearing it up on the dancefloor with my sweetheart at my best friend's wedding? Doesn't seem like it. Right now I'm on the seventh floor of a funky old building on the Gran Via in Madrid trying to publish this blog on a really slow internet connection. I'm really tired from a late night at an underground gay bar where I was up until 3am with some fellow classmates screaming out the lyrics of 80's music mixed with Spanish pop along with the bouncing crowd.

So far I can say it is a beautiful city, but I can hardly notice that fact as I try to find my way to class, to the cell phone store, and and back to the hostal. It feels like insult to injury to be in the center of so much coolness and not be able to sit back and take it all in. I'm alternately thrilled and horrified to discover how much and how little Spanish I know. I can go anywhere and talk to anyone, but in the midst of a conversation, even intelligent banter, there will be an important phrase, joke, or question that is impossible for me to understand even after several questions. Kind of like a Dali painting nightmare scene. Which reminds me I'm less than a kilometer away from the Prado museum but I haven't been able to visit it yet! Rayos.

In case you're wondering, people aren't blue here, it was just something that happened while my classmates and I were enjoying some canas(tilde on the 'n' like in canyon-a glass of beer) and paella. That's what happened before the bar.

Not the most elegant post, but not bad for five hours of sleep and two days in new country.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Not bad at all! Hey, you've already had paella and went to an underground gay bar (and aren't those required activities?) . . .
It's nice to know that wherever you go in the world there are people who love 80's music.
Looking forward to hearing more--take care :)

ddv said...

Karen! it's so good to know you've "landed".. i've been thinking about you and honestly chico ain't the same w/o YOU! in other words, i miss ya.
what a cool expereince you're having- just remember to take it easy on yourself. breathe. good advice, aye? I can't wait to hear more! adios chicka!

Unknown said...

we love you Karen! So glad to read your update! Now, about that trip to Istanbul...

Unknown said...

wow, you just dive right in there, K! that picture of the card totally made me smile - doesn't the wedding seem like a hundred years away?! you are one brave soul for your venture - i TOTALLY know what you mean about getting crap done in a new country. consider yourself successful if you get but one thing done per day! you'll get the hang of it - and have time to soak in the beauty as you go along....
L