Monday, May 12, 2008

Ups and Downs

In the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, Teensy, one of the fab four gang of women pals can never resist taking off her clothes at their many social gatherings. Similarly, M. (to protect his innocence) and I are compelled to regale guests with our impassioned Neil Diamond lip sync presentations. Here you see us caught up in the emotion of "We're Coming to America" where the invisible masses shout, "Today!"

Certainly, it was one of the many highlights of the night including incredible performances by Christine La Pado and special (isn't he cute?!) guest, Dave Silva. My good girlfriends and I were overcome with emotion to be finally experiencing/witnessing one of my dearest dreams come true- playing with talented musicians I respect both professionally and personally. Check out this clip to see what I'm talking about:



As the saying goes, what comes up must come down, and I find myself facing the fact that I need to vacate the apartment that has been the silent witness and stage of this year's drama of separation, sadness, and rebirth. It's time to wrap dishes, stack books, and prepare for the upcoming season of wandering pilgrimage that I have come to see as necessary, exciting, and bittersweet. The writing of this morning's blog is both avoidance and acceptance as I probably should get my ass moving, but according to the laws of physics, all changes of direction require disruption of the inertia that holds us in patterns for better or worse, so raise your coffee mug, and toast with me to change.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I am so glad you're doing this. I hope it will help me miss you less. Start snapping away with your camera before you leave the sunny shores of California. It's all part of your 'camino'. Betty

Unknown said...

here's to change,... 'to love!' (our favorite line from your song). what a silent witness that apartment was - a vacant studio turned into a place of joy and laughter coming out of desperate places. it is how you do life - it is what inspires me about you! i am so proud of that sparkling clean fridge! let's fill the last few weeks with as many celebratory moments as tears as both are necessary. love you k! L